Smashed Avocado on Toast
This is my favorite way to eat Smashed Avocado on Toast. Yes, that's the correct way to say it. It's really not "avocado toast", read on and you will find out why! Garlic, shallots, avocado, tomato, bacon and queso fresco! Heavenly!
- 1 large Avocado, about 1 cup smashed
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots
- 2 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 8 cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1/8 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 slices good quality whole wheat bread
- 1 clove garlic, left whole
Additional Ingredients for Serving
- crumbled queso fresco or cojita cheese
- minced fresh cilantro
- your favorite hot sauce
To Make the Toast
Toast the bread to a crispy but not burned brown. I put my toast under the broiler because it was too big for the toaster. If doing under the broiler, make sure you toast both sides.
When the toast is hot out of the cooking device, rub it generously on both sides with garlic. Set aside.
To Make the Smashed Avocado
For this recipe, it's easiest to place 2 strips of bacon on a paper towel and microwave for 2 minutes or until the bacon is crispy but not burned. Remove, crumble and set aside.
In a medium-sized bowl, combine the avocado, tomatoes, shallots, bacon, salt, and pepper.
Put about 1/2 cup of the smashed avocado or so on each piece of toast and top with the cheese, cilantro and hot sauce if desired.