Stuffed mushrooms, oh YEAH!
Oh my, I have been busier than a one-toothed man in a corn-on-the-cob eating contest! Seriously 10 full days of not being around the house! Let alone writing a new post! My apologies, but end-of-the-year “real job” stuff comes first! No complaints, it’s just nice to have a day at the desk! Anyway, last week I hosted our “50th” annual ladies ornament exchange (not really 50, but it’s been going on forever)! Anyway, one of the appetizers that I made were these stuffed mushrooms. All, the ladies said they wanted me to post this first! So stuffed mushrooms it is!
I’m not sure what it is but I have always loved stuffed mushrooms. In fact, I’m not sure that I have ever had a stuffed mushroom that I didn’t like. My version today, sausage, spinach, and Swiss cheese. OMG, so decadent and delicious and easy to make. For my party last week, I made and assembled them the night before and then heated them up in the oven before the party! Easy.
Every year since forever, the ladies that I met in my first Re/Max office in Denver, have gotten together for our annual ornament exchange. Basically, our excuse is to eat and drink copious amounts of wine, chit chat and enjoy each other’s friendship. It’s pretty cool. These years get together was small but perfect. Here is a nice picture of our “family”. Next year we will be better about planning, this year it was impromptu! Glad we pulled it off.
Other Stuffed Mushroom recipe ideas:
This recipe was originally posted back in 2013 when I first started my blog. It’s been updated in 2021.
- 1/2 pound bulk mild or sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup onion chopped fine
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 9-10 oz package pre-washed spinach
- 2 tablespoons cream sherry ( I use Harvey’s Bristol Cream)
- 1 tsp fennel seed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup plain bread crumbs (I make my own)
- 3/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 16-18 large mushroom caps (white or crimini work just fine)
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- In a large pan, cook and crumble sausage until no longer pink. Remove and drain on paper towels. (I used a sharp knife to chop into smaller crumbles). Place pan back on the stove and quickly cook onions (about a minute), add garlic and sausage back to the pan.
- Season ingredients with fennel, salt, and pepper.
- Add spinach and mix well with the sausage mixture. Add sherry and cook until spinach is cooked down.
- Stir in bread crumbs and remove from heat. Add 1/2 cup shredded Swiss cheese and mix well.
- Prepare and clean mushrooms. Remove stem and clean out to make room for the stuffing mixture. Place mushrooms in a large oven-proof baking dish.
- Generally stuff mushrooms with stuffing and top with remaining 1/4 cup of Swiss cheese.
- Bake in a 425-degree oven for 15-17 minutes or until cheese has melted. Serve hot.