This year has been a great year visiting new places. Croatia, Paris, Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta and last weekend, an opportunity presented itself to go to New Orleans for Halloween, I couldn’t say no to that for sure! Oh my, what a great town. The energy, the music, the food, the shopping, the French Quarter, the non stop action. Just an amazingly fun time. I am such a lucky gal to have been able to experience so many great places and people this year! I seem to have been “pinching” myself quite a bit! It’s all good.
One of the great meals that we experienced was at Tujagues Restaurant (pronounced two-jacks). It is the second oldest restaurant in New Orleans. Located at 823 Decatur Street in the French Quarter, it’s just down from Jackson Square and across from the historic French Market. Tujague’s is over 150 years old! My friend had this Beef Brisket with Creole horseradish sauce for dinner. OMG, so delicious, so delicious in fact, that I had to look up how to make it! Low an behold, I found the recipe online and made it today. It’s just like it was at the restaurant. It just falls apart and is ultra flavorful, just make sure you have it with the Creole horseradish sauce. The sauce totally makes the dish.
Of course I took a lot of pictures in NOLA. Halloween was a total trip. The costumes were hilarious and so creative. You just don’t see that kind of creativity many other places and it was great to be part of it. We got to see parades and flash mobs. We got to listen to music that was so not like anything that you hear in Denver (I think I loved this the most) I wish that I could see live music everyday, I’d be perpetually happy. Actually, if I could eat amazing food, listen to music, experience new things everyday, then I would be perpetually happy! A girl can dream right? Enjoy NOLA.
- 6-7 pounds choice brisket
- 2 onions, quartered
- 2 ribs of celery
- 2 carrots
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 3 bay leaf
- 2 tbs salt
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tbs dried thyme
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tbs dried red chili
- 1 tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbs balsamic vinegar
- Beef stock to cover
- [br]Creole horseradish sauce[br]
- 1/2 cup katchup
- 1/4 cup creole mustard
- 1/4 cup prepared horseradish
- In heavy pot brown brisket well in hot oil. Set aside.
- In same pot, brown onion, garlic, carrot. Add brisket back to pot with tomatoes, celery, dried chili, bay leaves parsley, thyme, allspice peppercorns liquid smoke, balsamic vinegar and stock to cover.
- Cover Pot with aluminum foil and then lid. Simmer 3-4 hours till brisket is fork tender but not falling apart.
- Transfer brisket to pan and let stand. Then slice into large chunks or 1/4 inch thick slices.
- Boil the stock down till about half, Strain, and put brisket back in the liquid.
- In a small bowl combine katchup, mustard and horseradish and mix well.