Meanwhile in Colorado, we are getting hit with day two of “snowmageddon”, again. Since we are in desperate need of water in our state, I can’t complain, but come on…. This is a lot of snow! The crazy thing is that yesterday it was snowing so hard but melting as it was hitting the ground, so at my house we have twenty inches that has stuck. At my folk’s house in Evergreen, they are digging out of three feet of snow! I can’t imagine what it would have been like if it was colder yesterday. We would have been home bound for a week! Whew! We dodged that bullet! With all the wet heavy snow, my internet keeps going out, so I will be a little short on this post and hope that Comcast can get whatever is not working, working again! The weather people say that it’s going to move out by tonight. Let’s hope so, we have a lot of tennis to play outside this week! LOL!
While I was stuck in my house yesterday, I decided to make a big salad to eat all week. I love Cobb Salads and it as weird as it may seem, I had all the ingredients in my fridge, including buttermilk (I can’t remember why I bought it) to make my own “salad” bar. I love a good buttermilk ranch dressing, so I spruced it up with a bunch of Mexican flavors and a Mexican Cobb Salad was born! In the recipe below, I’ll tell you how to make the dressing, but will leave the salad making up to you. Make it a big or as little as you want and add the ingredients to your liking. You can’t really mess this up and you can have a restaurant quality salad at home. Just the way I like it cause this would definitely be one of those $15 dollar salads at a restaurant and who likes to spend $15 on a salad? Not this gal! This is fun to make for the whole family, just put out bowls of all the ingredients and let everyone build their own salad! Sounds like a good plan to me! 🙂
- Your favorite lettuce, chopped
- hard boiled eggs, sliced into quarters
- crumbled bacon
- chicken breast, either grilled or sauted
- tortilla chips
- radishes, sliced
- corn, (fresh or frozen) (If using frozen corn, just thaw it out)
- cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- fresh cilantro, chopped
- cojita cheese, crumbled
- pumpkin seeds
Chipotle Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1½- 1¾ cup of buttermilk
- 1 tbs apple cidar vineger
- 1 tbs honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped fine
- ½ cup green onions, sliced thin
- ½ red pepper, chopped fine
- 1-2 chipotle peppers, chopped fine
- 1 tbs of the sauce from the chipotle pepper can
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- Prepare all the ingredients for the salad. It's best to put the ingredients in separate bowls and toss together the salad when you are ready to serve.
- To make the dressing, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, vinegar, honey, garlic, cilantro, green onions, red pepper, chipotle peppers, sauce from the chipotle peppers, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Serve with the salad.
Salad tip. This salad has a lot of ingredients so it is best to keep all the ingredients separated until ready to serve to prevent it from getting "soggy"... I just keep everything in zip lock bags and make an individual salad when I am ready!
A little "tip". The extra chipotle peppers can be stored in the freezer for later use. Just put in a zip lock bag and freeze them. When you need them again, just thaw them out and add to your next creation!