Sorry that I was MIA last week! This kitchen remodel kicked my butt and I needed to get out of town and enjoy the Fall foliage! Anyway, last week I got a lot done for this weeks construction project! I was a painting fool, including the ceiling (what a pain), all my electrical was brought up to the 21st century and my unexpected giant project… I scraped the hideous popcorn ceilings off, re-textured, primed, painted and re-painted my walls because I made such a mess! Did I mention the mess? Whoa! I think that I’ll be sweeping up ceiling popcorn for months to come! I’m glad that I did it though as it’s kinda night and day especially with my pretty white ceilings! This is the BIG week though. Tomorrow, my handyman is coming over to help me remove what I can’t. The bottom cabinets are coming out, the rest of the granite (the big pieces that are too heavy for one person to lift), replacing some sub-floor, replacing drywall, moving appliances and oh the plumber is coming to do his thing. Tuesday, final clean up and the new cabinets are being delivered. Wednesday, cabinet and hardware installation. Thursday, new appliance delivery and set up, the granite guys are coming out to make a template for my counter tops and my Mom is coming over to help me figure out where to put all my stuff! This week is gonna be nutso busy (oh, and the water gets shut off tomorrow for about two weeks, ugh) but it’s gonna be one beautiful kitchen when it’s all done. You know that I will share pictures!
This weeks recipe idea came from my manicurist of all people! While I was in getting a much needed manicure (you should have seen my nails, they were trashed from all the painting), I asked her what kind of food that she was craving. She said that she just got back from a trip to New Orleans and that she wanted a muffaletta sandwich! Wow! Great idea! With my lack of kitchen this was perfect because it’s a no cook food! Truth be known though, I’m not a big olive fan but I will eat them especially if they are Castelvetrano. These olives are really buttery, not too briny or salty. They actually are delicious addition to the olive salad that accompanies the muffaletta. I also decided to make them “mini”. The typical muffaletta is enormous and not something that I’m interested in eating, so Mini Muffaletta’s were made instead! I’m kinda proud of this, I like small plate foods and this sandwich is so packed with giant flavors from all the meats and salad that you will never miss all the extra bread that you would normally get with this delicious sandwich! Olive fan or not, give this a try. I served this to a friend who detests olives and he ate two sandwiches! Give the Mini Muffaletta a try, heck it’s just fun to say! 🙂
- 6-8 fresh small French rolls (I buy them in the bakery section of my grocery)
- 4 oz Salami
- 4 oz Mortadella
- 4 oz Shaved ham
- 4 oz Capicola
- 4 oz Sopressata
- 6-8 slices of provalone cheese
- [br][b]For the Olive Salad[/b][br]
- 1/2 cup pitted Castelvetrano olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup marinated cherry peppers, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini peppers, chopped fine
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- To make the olive salad, In a medium sized bowl add the olives, parsley, garlic, cherry peppers, pepperoncini, onion, salt, pepper, vinegar and olive oil. Mix well and let sit for one hour so the flavors develop.
- To assemble the sandwiches. Slice the rolls in half and scoop out a little bread from the bottom half. This will hold the salad in place. Add, 1-2 tbs of the olive salad to the bottom half (make sure you get a little of the liquid in the scoop). Top with a slice of each of the meats and then the cheese. Remove a little of the bread from the top half and add another 1-2 tbs of the olive salad. Place on top of the sandwich and serve.
Linda Morris says
Absolutely fabulous news all around Heather. The mini muffulettas and salad look delicious. Will share with Navy League board members.
All the best! Linda
Linda Morris recently posted…USS Colorado Virginia Class Submarine
Thanks Linda!!! I hope you are well! 🙂
Lea Ann says
I can’t wait to see that new kitchen! And great – now I’m craving a muffaletta. 🙂
Lea Ann recently posted…Chipotle Chicken Salad Tacos with Avocado, Red Skin Potatoes and Romaine
I can’t wait for you to see it either! Tomorrow is the big day! 🙂 Oh, these are good ones!