A couple of weeks back when I was in Winterpark with the gals (the beginning of Lent) we stayed in one night for dinner. I made this beautiful Sopa de Fideo (Mexican noodle soup) since I put some chicken in it, some ladies decided we should have some fish as well. So I put together this delicious baked salmon with wine, sliced cherry tomatoes, garlic and, shallots. It was delicious and quite honestly made me think why I don’t eat salmon more often. I really should because it is so good for you.
Generally, I adore sockeye salmon but it’s not in season right now so I opted for some fresh Atlantic salmon instead. It was pretty and called my name! Ha! Anyway, I also noticed that blood oranges were on sale! Sixty-nine cents a pound! That’s unheard of so I had to buy them as well! I came up with this glaze for the salmon because honestly, it’s a great flavor for fish. I mixed in some fresh rosemary and honey to the blood oranges which are a little tangy to counteract the nutty flavors of the browned butter. It’s a little sweet and savory glaze which is delicious on the salmon! I love this recipe!
Because blood oranges are not always in season, I made another batch with navel oranges also. This turned out super tasty, which is great because you can make this recipe all year round! That’s good news! I also cooked my salmon in the oven but I know that many of you prefer grilled salmon. Go ahead and grill it if you want. It turns out perfect if that your thing! 🙂
I hope that you enjoy this Blood Orange Glazed Salmon recipe! It’s easy to make on a weeknight but pretty enough for any dinner party and serve to guests!
It’s been so beautiful this week. Seriously it’s still winter and I have been running around in a tank top, shorts and, flip flops all week! It’s kinda crazy considering that back east they have been pounded with horrible storms, damaging winds, lost power, flooding and whatever else Mother Nature brought their way. I feel bad for everyone and whatever you are dealing with! I will say though, it’s only a matter of time when we get a big spring storm! We so need it as it’s so dry here. So that being said, I have taken some really nice long walks. I have been down to South Platte Park a few days this week. It’s a beautiful place to watch wildlife and enjoy a stroll around the ponds! The ducks have been fun to watch! Check this out, I captured them taking flight! There are some wood ducks amongst the mallards somewhere in this picture! Such a pretty sight! I think I’ll head down again when I’m done with this post! I have spring fever…
Enjoy the salmon recipe. I’m making it again for dinner tonight! 🙂
Blood Orange Glazed Salmon
- 1 1/2 pounds Salmon steaks or filet
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons low sodium Tamari or soy sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- 1 blood orange or navel orange juiced
- a pinch of both salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with tin foil
- In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Let it brown (it will start to turn brown and have a nutty smell).
- When it begins to brown, reduce heat to low and add the shallots and rosemary. Cook for a minute or so stirring constantly.
- Quickly add the soy, honey and orange juice and cook for another minute or two or until it begins to thicken. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Season the salmon with a salt and pepper to taste and baste the glaze over the flesh. There will be additional glaze to put on when the fish is cooked.
- Bake for 12-13 minutes or until the fish is flaky (use a fork to pull up the meat and if it's flaky it's done).
- Serve with additional sauce and enjoy!