Happy day after St. Patricks Day to everyone. I hope the Irish flu isn’t affecting you today! 🙂 If it is, this Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwich will be the perfect cure! Haha!
This past week, I was in serious “I need to have a Reuben” mode. Maybe because I have been eating corned beef all week or maybe because a Reuben is crave-worthy! I came up with the Corned Beef and Cabbage sandwich because I didn’t feel like eating out and I had a ton of cabbage in my refrigerator! I love cabbage and I really love cabbage when it’s lightly cooked. Not the kind that’s cooked that’s in a boiled corned beef dinner. Just lightly braised like in this sandwich! Can I even tell you how tasty this sandwich turned out? The combination of a soft pretzel roll, warmed corned beef and cabbage, a hint of caraway and a zesty 1000 island dressing are a perfect combination for a dang good sandwich! If you don’t have any leftover corned beef, not to worry! Your favorite corned beef from the deli counter will work just fine as a substitute! If you want a really good (and messy) sandwich, try this. It’s like eating at a restaurant at home!
So for St. Patrick’s Day some friends and me headed over to Nono’s Cafe for the beginning of crawfish boil season! In my opinion, Nono’s Cafe is the best Cajun restaurant in the Denver area. This place has been in operation since 1996 and continues to impress over all these years! Every year beginning in March and only on Saturdays, Nono’s flies in fresh crawfish for their traditional crawfish boil. Reservations are required for this fun event. They seriously only charge $35 per person for an all you can eat crawfish dinner! What makes this event even more fun is that they push tables together and line them with newspaper. Everyone in the restaurant sits together, kinda like a big family gathering! I can’t even begin to tell you how fun and delicious this was! Whatever they boil their crawfish in, is spicy and super flavorful! Plus, the andouille sausage, mushrooms, corn on the cob, boiled potatoes, fried pickles and, beignets are just the added bonus for one amazing dinner! If you are in Denver, put this your list of things to do. Trust me, you won’t be disappointed! Remember to suck the heads! Lol!
Enjoy! Scroll down past all the pics for the recipe! 🙂
Corned Beef and Cabbage Sandwich
- 1 pound leftover corned beef or thinly sliced corned beef
- 4 pretzel rolls
- 1 pound shredded cabbage
- 1/4 cup liquid from corned beef or beef broth
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper
1000 Island Dressing
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup cocktail sauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2-3 teaspoons prepared horseradish To taste
- 3-4 dashes Tabasco sauce
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- Pinch salt and pepper
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add the cabbage, broth, caraway seeds, salt and, pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage turns a brighter green and wilted. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, cocktail sauce, Worcestershire, horseradish, Tobasco, relish, salt and, pepper. Set aside.
- To assemble the sandwichs, warm the rolls in the microwave along with corned beef just to take the chill off.
- Slather the dressing on both sides of the roll. Top with the braised cabbage and the corned beef. Serve warm and enjoy!
Karen (Back Road Journal) says
It really does look like a dang good sandwich. Sounds like you had a fun St. Patrick’s Day.
Karen (Back Road Journal) recently posted…Corn Beef Hash With Fried Eggs
Bernard Ber says
I love Reuben sandwiches, so this is right up my alley. Thanks!