Happy Masters Sunday! I have my TV on. Do you? It’s always so exciting to watch! If you like watching golf of course! 🙂 I’m rooting for Rory! it would be fun to watch him get a career grand slam! Also, Speith, I want him to win also…
I know that you are probably wondering what a “Fatty” is? Well, essentially, it’s meat mixture placed over bacon, topped with goodies, rolled up and smoked. I mean seriously, how can you go wrong? Plus, you get to say, “I smoked a Fatty” and your not doing something illegal! (Except in Colorado of course). This kind of Fatty is more up my ally anyway!
To continue with the whole, “trying to make more comfort foods while I can theme”, but realizing that grilling season is upon us (or at least in Colorado), a Chicken Cordon Bleu Fatty seemed appropriate! I loaded up ground chicken with shallots, garlic, and spinach then made a meatloaf out of it. I put it over the bacon and topped with Swiss cheese and ham. OMG! It gets better, instead of a barbeque sauce, I basted with a honey mustard glaze while I smoked it! It’s so fun to cut into when it’s done, the cheese is all melty and delicious! Just like a giant slice of chicken cordon bleu!
Here is a great video on how to make a “basket weave” to wrap your fatty in! If you don’t want to take the time to weave your bacon, just lay the strips out vertically and overlapping just a bit to hold everything in place! Click here to see how to “roll the fatty”!
Enjoy! Have to finish watching the Masters!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Fatty
For the Chicken Meatloaf
- 1 pound ground chicken or turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup diced shallots or onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 5 ounces fresh spinach
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper
Honey Mustard Glaze
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 1 pound thick cut bacon
- 6 slices Swiss Cheese
- 6 slices Deli ham of your choice
To Make the Meatloaf
- In a large saute pan over medium heat warm up the olive oil. Add the shallots and the garlic and saute until translucent. About 5 minutes. Add the spinach and a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until the spinach is wilted about 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl combine the chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, marjoram, mustard, salt and pepper and the cooled spinach mixture. Get in there with clean hands and mix well. Place in the refrigerator for a half hour to set up.
To Make the Honey Mustard Glaze
- In a small bowl whisk together the mustard, honey, and vinegar. Add a pinch of salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
To Make the Fatty
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Either make a bacon weave (see video) or line with 10 strips of bacon vertically.
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drop onto the bacon. Form into a square leaving 2 inches around the edges on all sides. On one side of the chicken, place 3 pieces of cheese and top with a layer of ham and then more cheese.
- Lift up the cheese side of the loaf with the parchment paper and carefully start rolling. With each roll try and tighten as you go pulling they paper carefully away as you go. When it all rolled up, tighten to seal with your hands.
To Cook your Fatty
- Heat your grill to 325 degrees. Place the fatty seam side down and baste with the glaze. Cook for 2-3 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 170 degrees and the bacon is browned! About 1 hour into cooking, flip over the fatty and baste again.
- Remove from grill and let rest 10 minutes before slicing.