Happy Mother’s Day to all the fabulous Mom’s, Grandma’s and furry friend Mom’s out there! I hope you are enjoying your day relaxing and hopefully being pampered by your kids. I’ll be headed up to Evergreen in a bit to help out my Mama in the garden as we do every Mother’s Day! It’s always one of my favorite times of the year!
Frittatas are one of the goto dishes that I make often. In fact, probably twice a month at least. A frittata is an Italian egg dish that is typically started on the stove over low heat and finished under the broiler until the eggs are cooked through and golden brown. Frittatas are gluten-free and Keto friendly as unlike a quiche, it has no crust, just eggs, and fillings of your choice. Frittatas are delicious served either warm or at room temperature.
I wanted to show in this recipe an alternative to the traditional way of cooking a frittata. This Easy Baked Frittata is just that. You just make the filling and pop it in the oven like you would a quiche. It’s that easy to have a healthy light and fluffy egg dish that is good any time of day!
The Beauty of Frittatas
The beauty of frittatas is that you can add whatever your little heart desires to the dish. With the Easy Baked Frittata, I added bacon, asparagus (my favorite) and Gouda cheese which is a great melting cheese! The flavors work really well together as well.
A couple of years back after my trip to Rome, I made a Zucchini Ricotta Frittata. The ricotta cheese substitutes the milk and gives it delightfully creamy texture! Either way, frittatas should be in your meal plan! Fun to say, easy to make and delicious to eat!
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
This past week, we had another tragedy happen in our state. This time it happened a little to close to home, in fact across the street from my house. It was a terrifying day as I watched it unfold right in front of me. I spent the afternoon in tears as I watched frantic parents park their cars in my neighborhood as they ran to their children. I can’t even imagine their anguish and what the children must have experienced when the two mentally deranged students walked in and started shooting. There are no words except things have got to change. My heart goes out to every family affected by yet another tragedy. Love and strength to everyone.
Easy Baked Frittata
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk or 1/2 and 1/2
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 6 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup asparagus, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 3/4 cup shredded Gouda cheese
- In a medium sized bowl, vigorously whisk together the eggs, milk, salt, pepper and dry mustard. Set aside.
- Cook the bacon until browned and slightly crispy. Crumble and set aside. In a small bowl, place the chopped asparagus with a couple of tablespoons of water and cover with plastic wrap. Place in the microwave for 1 minute just to green up. Remove the plastic wrap and set aside. Grate the cheese with a box shredder. Set aside.
- When ready to assemble, spray liberally with cooking spray in either a pie plate or an 8x8 baking pan. Add the bacon, asparagus and cheese. Pour the egg mixture over the goodies.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 40-45 minutes or until the eggs are set. If your knife comes out clean then you are good to go!
- Serve warm or at room temperature. Enjoy!