Zucchini Soup is on the menu today!
I apologize in advance… I have Zucchini coming out of my ears and there may be a few posts involving zucchini! My garden is going gang busters and besides giving away a ton of zucchini already, I still need to figure out what to do with the rest!
It’s one of those 52 days of year when we get precipitation in Colorado. I love days like this! You get trapped inside and you can get things done without feeling guilty about not being outside! These days make me happy and when you can feel Fall in the air, it’s a perfect day to make soup!
When I say that I have at least 15 zucchini in my house, I’m not lying! It’s crazy. So soup is a good way to get rid of some of them! This soup is great because it’s pretty versatile. You can make it healthy (no half and half) or not so healthy (with half and half) or it can be vegan or not! You see, this soup can be what ever you want it to be! Oh, it’s also good, hot or cold!
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup onions diced
- 2 cloves garlic chopped
- 5-6 medium zucchini chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth (preferably homemade)
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Dash of Cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 cup half and half (optional)
- Heat oil in heavy bottom dutch oven
- Saute onions until soft, add garlic and zucchini. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook mixture until zucchini become soft (about 10 minutes)
- Add stock, bay leaves, thyme and cayenne pepper and simmer until zucchini become very tender.
- Remove thyme stems and bay leaves.
- With an immersion blender or food processor or regular blender. Blend soup until smooth. ** If using a food processor or blender, work in small batches to avoid spill over.
- Remove from heat and add half and half. Re-season with salt and pepper if necessary.