Carbonara Pizza, yes that’s what I said! Another football fest food!
So when we were kids (I’m sure many of you can relate), TV dinners became popular. You know the tin foil dinners with turkey and gravy and those little tiny apple pies that you cooked in the oven and peeled back the foil to eat. They were the best things ever. It also meant a babysitter was coming over and my Mom wanted to make it easy for them. Then something better came along. Stouffer’s French Bread pizza. OMG, I thought I’d died and gone to heaven. Well that was then and now you couldn’t pay me to eat them!
This is my homage to yummy memories as a child. Why not make something like that? Grown up French Bread pizza, Carbonara Pizza style.
I gave up the French Bread and used an Italian Loaf or a Ciabatta Bread instead. It’s a little more substantial and not so “airy”. Feel free to use what you like though! I love Carbonara so why not make a pizza out of it. It’s really delicious and easy to put out for your family and friends for noshing during your favorite football game.
Try Carbonara Pizza, easy to make and super yummy!
- 1 loaf of fresh Italian or Ciabatta bread
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup mascrapone cheese
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp ground pepper
- a couple of grates of fresh nutmeg or a tiny pinch of pre-ground
- 4 oz prosciutto diced
- 2 tbs minced garlic
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese cut into slices
- olive oil
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees
- Slice bread into two haves, set aside
- In a medium bowl mix together eggs, mascrapone cheese, Parmesan, pepper and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
- In a medium fry pan and medium heat, cook prosciutto until lightly browned, add garlic and cook for one minute. Remove from heat and drain on paper towels.
- To assemble. Divide egg mixture and spread evenly on bread halves. Top evenly with prosciutto and garlic mixture. Place sliced mozzarella on top of bread halves and drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook pizzas for 12 minutes and then turn broiler on high and broil pizzas until golden brown and bubbly.
- Slice up pizza and serve hot!