Since football season is in full force now and we all like game day munchies, I’m going to start posting Football Fest recipes. Smoked Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing is my first go at giving ideas for good things to share during the game!
A few weeks back, my friend Larry with Big Dudes Ramblings made these delicious wings for a BBQ. They were so amazing that I have to share the recipe. I’m not a big “smoked” meat type of gal, but the apple wood in this recipe made for a sweet and mild flavor that added something that I have never experienced before, a smoked food that I couldn’t get enough of. The honey buffalo wing sauce just made it perfectly yummy. I serve it with a delicious bowl of home made Blue Cheese dressing and fresh veges.
Make Smoked Honey Buffalo Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese Dressing this weekend. You can thank me later…
- 5 pounds chicken wings (I get them frozen, 2 bags)
- 2 large handfuls apple wood chips for smoking (I like apple wood, it's not too strong)
- 1 12 oz bottle of Franks Buffalo Style hot sauce
- 1 stick butter
- ¼ c honey
- Heat up grill to a high heat. Prepare wood chips by placing in a large piece of heavy duty tin foil. Make a pouch and poke a few holes in it to release the smoke. Place on grill and wait for the wood chips to start smoking.
- Once the chips start smoking, turn grill to low and place chicken wings on grill. I like to try and keep it around 275 degrees. Smoke wings until the internal temperature reaches 155 degrees. It took about and hour and a half for me. Remove from grill.
- In the meantime in a large sauce pan, add the Franks, honey and butter. Melt and stir well.
- Add the ½ sauce to a large bowl. In small batches add the chicken wings and coat well. Put the wings back on the grill and cook for about 5 minutes until cooked through and a little char coats the wings.
- Remove from grill and in the same bowl add remaining sauce, put wings in for a final coating of hot sauce. Serve hot with blue cheese dressing and veges.
- 1 cup sour cream
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles (pick your favorite)
- 4 green onion sliced thin (white and green parts, OK)
- In a medium size bowl whisk all ingredients together. Store in the refrigerator in an airtight container or serve with wings.
- I like to chill for 24 hours so the flavors blend!