Craving pizza? I always crave pizza. Usually with sausage, mushrooms, extra cheese and a spicy red sauce. For this round of pizza nirvana, I decided to go completely out of my little box and do something that I hardly ever do, make a chicken pizza, a Colorado Chicken Pizza with Cheesy White Sauce to be exact. Truth be known, when I have a ton of leftovers in the fridge my brain goes into overdrive and I start making stuff up! It’s not always a success but this turned out so tasty that I had to share. I’m not sure why I had alfredo sauce on my mind because generally I have to be feeling pretty depressed to stuff my face with the high calorie salty cream sauce. I needed something though to fix that craving without completely killing my figure (LOL).
I know you see that many of my recipes have Mexican Crema in them. I love crema so it’s always in my refrigerator. If you already don’t love crema, you should. It’s a thinner version of American sour cream without being so tangy. It’s so versatile that you can use it instead of heavy cream and mild enough that it mixes well with just about anything. It was the perfect ingredient to make a cheese sauce for my pizza but not so bad for you that that you question your morals for making a bad decision and eating something that is terrible for you! Turned out that is was a perfect base sauce for the pizza as it got all bubbly in the oven and held the other ingredients perfectly in place! I topped it off with lots of fresh vegetables so that I could justify this over the top pizza. Colorado Chicken Pizza with Cheesy White Sauce was also super easy to make as I used a store bought pizza crust you can even substitute 1 cup of rotisserie chicken to make it even easier! Give it a try and for my Traeger grill friends, this recipe works great on the “T” too!
So I need to give a quick shout out to a cool place that I went to yesterday. I belong to the Denver’s Bloggers Club and this months meeting was held The Uncorked Kitchen. The Uncorked Kitchen is a place where you get expert cooking instruction from chefs, you actually cook a meal and then you sit down and enjoy the fruits of your labor in a beautiful family style setting. Wow! That was a fun and enlightening learning experience and to top it off there establishment has one of the best views in Denver. I can’t wait to go back for a happy hour sometime and enroll in some of their future classes. I had so much fun, that I have already sent out their website to some friends so that we can pick a time and go back! If you are in Denver and want to experience a completely different dining experience make sure that you check it out. I promise you that you will have a blast and learn something to boot!
Colorado Chicken Pizza with Cheesy White Sauce
- For the Cheese Sauce
- 1/2 cup Mexican Crema
- 3/4 cup Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 pinch of salt and pepper
For the Chicken
- olive oil
- 1 boneless chicken breast diced small
- 1/2 cup yellow onions diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 jalapeno pepper minced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
For the Pizza Toppings
- 1 prepared pizza crust I used Bobolli
- 1 1/2 cups Mexican 4 cheese blend
- 1/4 cup purple onions
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1/2 cup tomatoes diced
- 1-1/1/2 jalapeno pepper chopped
- To make the chicken topping. In a medium sized saute pan heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add the chicken, onions, garlic, jalapeno, corn, chili powder, cumin, salt and pepper. Cook for 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- To make the cheese sauce. In a small sauce pan over low heat add the crema, cheese, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir well until the cheese melts. Remove from heat and set aside.
- To assemble the pizza. Spread the cheese sauce evenly over pizza crust. Top with chicken mixture and the remaining cheese. Bake in a 425 degree oven for 12-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the bottom of the crust is browned.
- To serve, add the purple onions, tomatoes, cilantro and jalapeno to the top of the pizza.