Well, I’m officially off of vacation “high” and I’m back to work, tennis is in full swing, gardens are growing and back to writing recipes! It kinda feels good to actually go to the grocery and make dinner! Since Copper River Salmon is in season and it’s the only salmon that I like to eat, I made a grilled honey mustard salmon. This was dinner last night. It turned out amazing. With everything being so fresh right now, the salmon was pretty excellent over a salad! This was perfect for a hot summer evening! It’s an easy week night dinner and in my case lunch today as well! The dressing makes more than enough, so you will have for plenty of salads throughout the week! Since the dressing is home made, this recipe will certainly be a “don’t buy it, make it” addition! There is no need to buy salad dressing! Ever, ever…
- 1 pound Copper River Salmon filet
- salt and pepper
Honey Mustard Dressing
- 3 tbs Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup honey
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- A few dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- pinch of both salt and pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- Pre- heat grill to 500 degrees.
- Season salmon on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Brush liberally with dressing and let marinate for 15 minutes.
- Place salmon skin side down, and grill for approximately 8 minutes.
- Flip the salmon over and continue cooking for approximately 2 more minutes or until cooked to your liking.
- For the Honey Mustard Dressing
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the mustard, honey, garlic powder, salt, pepper, hot sauce and cider vinegar. Once that is all incorporated, slowly drizzle in the olive oil until the dressing becomes reasonably thick (this dressing is smooth, not gloppy).
- For the Salad
- In a large bowl mix together your favorite organic salad fixings. Top with grilled salmon and honey mustard dressing. The blueberries and almond slices were a nice twist!
- This is totally your choice and depending on how much you are making.
Also, I'm assuming you have your favorite way to make a salad! I just put mine together on how I like it! Make it your own! It's the salmon and the dressing that make it oh so good!
Since you will be hearing a lot about my vegetable garden this summer, I thought I’d start posting some pictures. In my community, we can rent organic only vegetable garden spots. It’s actually 250 square feet which is really large for growing all sorts of edibles! What’s even crazier, they pay for the water! This summer, I planted, peas, fava beans. broccoli, purple broccoli, brussel sprouts, acorn squash, zucchini, yellow squash, cucumbers, 2 types of tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, fennel, red cabbage, green cabbage, turnips, beets, parsnips, celery, arugula and onions! I think that’s it. That’s a lot, huh? I can hardly wait to start harvesting it all! I just pulled my first two broccoli heads. They were divine! On a normal summer, I’ll end up donating a lot to the food bank, no one could possibly consume everything that grows out of 250 square feet! Jus sayin!