So I grew up in Cincinnati, Ohio and for about fifteen years we spent our Sunday’s in the summer sailing our boat, The Compass Rose on Rocky Fork Lake. It was kinda our church. So many great memories of sailing and being with family and friends. Every week a different family joined us. Rocky Fork had these great coves that would stop in for lunch. The kids would swim and fish and the adults would sip on the giant jug of Gallo wine. Do you remember the big green jug, with a handle nonetheless? My Mom was famous for putting together these amazing picnics. I swear she would spend two days cooking prior to put everything together! It was so worth it! Steak salad with broccoli and asparagus was one of those lunches that she would bring. This salad is a food I still crave and guess what I was craving this week? Yep! You guessed it. I will be eating it all week. It’s a good thing that steak, broccoli and asparagus are some of my favorite foods and one of the only leftovers that I will eat. It’s that good. Times have changed, so this is my variation. Give it a try.
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak
- 2 small or one large broccoli head, florets removed
- 1 pound asparagus chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbs garlic minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger minced
- 3 tbs hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs honey
- 2 tbs minced jalapeno pepper
- In a large zip lock bag place the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce, honey and jalapeno pepper. Seal it up and give it a good shake.
- Put the flank steak in the bag and let marinate in the refrigerator for at least four hours up to overnight.
- When you are ready to assemble the salad, heat up your grill and grill the steak to medium rare (it’s best this way because the salad is served at room temperature). It took me about 10 minutes.
- Reserve the marinating liquid.
- While the steak is grilling, heat up a large pot of salted water. Add the broccoli and asparagus and cook for TWO minutes. Drain and put veges into a ice bath to stop cooking. Set aside
- When the steak is done grilling, let it cool for 10 minutes. Slice it thinly against the grain.
- In a large bowl, mix the broccoli and asparagus together with the steak slices. Pour about a half a cup of the marinade into the salad(or more if you need it). Toss well and enjoy!
I just had to include a picture of what I picked from my garden today! It’s so pretty and I HAVE RED TOMATOES!!! They have been soooo slow this year! Crazy thing though, I’m still getting broccoli and I just pulled my first cabbage! The beets are pretty too. Beet salad next on my blog!
So in celebration of the Super Moon this past Sunday, a group of us went up Mt Evens (highest paved road in North America). We thought it would be fun to watch a moon rise from 14,000 feet! Unfortunately, it had snowed at the top so the closed the upper portion of the road so we got stuck down at about 12,500 feet. As you will see, still pretty darn cool. What did you do to watch the moon? Probably not this! LOL!