I’m crazy for pesto. I put it on everything! One of my favorite things to do is to marinate chicken in it then put it on the grill. The Parmesan cheese kinda gets a little crunchy on the outside and the garlicky basil flavor has it all going on! Yum. This week I decided to make a crazy good sandwich with the chicken. Holy crap look at this thing. I had a baguette from my favorite french bakery (Pierre Michael) (I wish everyone could experience his food) some super fresh mozzarella cheese from my favorite market in Denver, Tony’s Meats, tons of veges on hand and voila a damn good sandwich was born! Don’t feel like making a sandwich? Try just having some grilled pesto chicken and veges. That’s what I have been doing with my leftovers the last few days. No sharing food from this post. It’s too good.
This week I was lucky enough to see Cirque Du Soleil’s performance of Kurios, Cabinet of Curiosities at the Pepsi Center downtown. Oh my, what an amazing show. I say amazing instead of spectacular because the show was so creative on so many fronts that is hard to explain. Don’t get me wrong the acrobatics are awe inspiring but watching an invisible circus, a man pretending to be a cat (seriously, he had to have been a cat in his past life), a theater of hands, where the performer tells a story with his hands that is projected on the side of a giant balloon and watching a man juggle 6 pins hanging upside down twenty feet in the air is all something that I could never imagine! Kudos for the folks who can think this stuff up. It was beyond anything that I can imagine! If Kurios comes to your town, I’d say see it. It’s not the “normal” Cirque Du Soleil extravaganza but it tells a real great story. I loved it. Wait to you see the guys on the trampoline…. you can’t even imagine how cool it is.
Have a good week y’all!
- 4 cups basil leaves
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup almonds or pine nuts
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 boneless chicken breasts, cut in half (easier for grilling)
- your favorite veges for grilling, I used tomatoes, portobello mushrooms, onion and peppers
- your favorite bread
- fresh mozzarella cheese
- Put basil, cheese, garlic cloves, nuts, salt and pepper in a blender or food processor.
- Turn on high and slowly add olive oil until smooth.
- Marinate chicken in about one cup of pesto for 8-12 hours.
- Prepare your grill. Brush veges with pesto on all sides. Grill the chicken and veges until done.
- Place the mozzarella cheese on one half of your bread and on the other half brush with pesto. Place on grill until the cheese is melted.
- Slice the chicken. Assemble your sandwiches with the chicken and veges. Add more pesto if you wish to do so!