Well it’s been a hot one in Colorado this past week. It actually was 100 degrees on Tuesday. Holy cow! One hundred degrees in June. In my twenty six years here, I’m not sure that I have even seen it that HOT in June! I shutter to the thought of what this may bring us in July and August! Just so you know, last summer we didn’t have one, 100 degree day! With all the heat, we get thunderstorms and they have been big! On Friday we got another hail storm (only marble sized though) and since I am still suffering from PTSD (Plant tragedy stress disorder), I seriously scrambled and managed to get everything covered! Whew! I have also learned that my new dog Tommy is terrified of storms. We are gonna have to work on that one! Poor kid..
With all the heat, the last thing that I have wanted to do is cook this week. Nothing really sounds good except fruit. I know weird, but that’s me. I have eaten a lot of cantaloupe! Lol! Fortunately, I had two occasions this week to bring dessert! Yeah for me, I could make something that I didn’t need to turn the stove on for! I came up with this Limoncello Cream Berry Cake because all the ingredients scream summer! Limoncello (my favorite summertime drink), fresh berries, basil, whipped cream and even better a store bought pound cake! Adding the limoncello to the whipped cream and to the berries is something that I wish that I thought of years ago. It’s kinda like, where have you been all my life limoncello cream?… Anyway it’s here now! On another note, this dessert is great for a picnic! I brought it to my weekly after tennis picnic on Thursday night (perfect timing I got to share this with all the gals). You can store everything in separate containers and have everyone assemble their own dessert! Brilliant!
For the whipped cream
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ Limoncello
- zest from one lemon
For the berries
- 2 quarts strawberries, sliced
- 1 pint blueberries
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup limoncello
- 2 tbs fresh basil, chopped fine
- zest from one lemon
- 1 store bought pound cake (I found it in the bakery section of my store), sliced
- In a high sided metal bowl, put the cream, sugar, limoncello and lemon zest. With either a hand mixer or a stand mixer blend on high speed for 3-5 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- In another large bowl, add the strawberries, blueberries, sugar, limoncello, lemon zest and basil. Mix together well. Cover and refrigerate for at least one hour. A nice syrup will develop.
- When ready to assemble, place one slice of the store bought pound cake on a plate. Top with a large spoonful of the fruit with the syrup on the cake and large dollop of the whipped cream. Sprinkle some more chopped fresh basil and lemon zest.
Bonus tip! I love limoncello in the summertime mixed with ice and sparkling water!