Happy New Year to everyone! I hope that everyone had a safe and FUN weekend. Eating, drinking and just being darn merry! Yeah for a new year and all the good things that are in store. I have a feeling that this year is gonna be a crazy fun ride!
I’m not much for resolutions. After many years of attempting to keep them, I have pretty much failed. So now, I give myself two -three weeks of being super healthy to kick start myself into abiding by my 80/20 rule. Eighty percent healthy, twenty percent not so much. I will never not eat french fries, ranch dressing, tacos, cheese and about fifteen other things. Life is way too short for that. So I start my year with my vegan protein shakes, salads and I’m gonna add this Chicken Satay with Sesame Dipping Sauce to my regime!
There is a back story for this recipe. A friend sent over the information for a recipe contest for this sesame spread (think peanut butter but made out of sesame seeds). I thought what the heck, I have never entered a contest before and since it’s a new year, I might as well start with something new and different! Turns out, it’s perfect timing for my two week clean eating endeavor. The contest is being put on by Simply Sesame. The nice folks at their company sent me some jars of their products to try and develop a recipe incorporating the Simply Sesame product! Lucky me, I loved the Pure Roasted Sesame. All of their products are gluten free, GMO free, low calorie, low cholesterol among other good stuff. You would never think that though because it’s just delicious. Anyway, for me to get off sweets from the holidays, I decided something savory was in store and what’s more savory than something Asian inspired? I consulted with one of my foodie friends and he suggested that I make a chicken satay with a sesame dipping sauce instead of my normal peanut sauce! Voila! Brilliant idea. So here it goes, Chicken Satay with Sesame Dipping Sauce. Savory, decadent deliciousness. It’s so good. If you are like me, I’ll be eating this all week but this would be perfect to serve at a football watching party. You can bring this to any party and be a healthy “super hero” too. Your secret will be safe with me!
- 1-2 pounds chicken tenderloins
- ½ cup neutral flavored oil (like vegetable or canola)
- green onions (for garnish)
- Assorted vegetables for dipping
For the Dipping Sauce and Marinade
- ½ cup Bonelli Pure Roasted Sesame spread
- 4 tbs tamari (or soy sauce)
- 4 tbs rice wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp fish sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp lime zest and juice from ½ lime
- 4 tsp honey
- 2-3 tsp sriracha (depending on your heat level)
- 1 jalapeno pepper, minced
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ¼ tsp salt
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the sesame spread, tamari, vinegar, fish sauce, sesame oil, garlic, lime zest, lime juice, honey, sriracha, jalapeno, ginger and salt.
- In a large zip lock bag, add ½ of the dipping sauce, oil and chicken tenderloins. Marinate for at least 2 hours up to 6.
- Drain the chicken from the marinade and thread onto skewers.
- Heat a grill pan or grill over medium high heat. Add chicken in a single layer and grill until cooked through, about 3-5 minutes per side.
- Serve with the Sesame Dipping Sauce and assorted vegetables. Garnish with green onions and/or additional jalapeno peppers.
You don't have to use skewers either, grilling the chicken is just fine!
Tahini will not work with recipe, trust me, I tried it. You can order your Bonelli Pure Roasted Sesame spread here!