When I was a kid, I wanted to be a meteorologist. I should have gone in that direction. It’s the only career that I know of where you get paid a boatload and you can completely be wrong 90% of the time!
It happened again. The weather forecasters completely got the storm wrong! This time, it was a major mistake. We all knew that we were going to get a snow/rain event on Friday in Denver. Maybe a couple inches of snow, cold temperatures and basically a crummy day was in store.
Remember I just said Friday? Well the storm hit Wednesday night. Sideways rain, huge thunder and crazy wind. When we woke up on Thursday morning there was already 6 inches of snow! What? I was so happy that I covered my vegetable plants, brought in all my planters and covered the peonies and poppies with buckets on Wednesday afternoon because I knew it was just going to be cold that night. Lucky me.
It gets better, the good ol’ weather people reported that in my neighborhood we only received 3.5 inches of snow! What ever! My measuring stick said 16 inches. One of those Home Depot buckets was filled 3/4 full of water! Holy cow! What a storm!
Now, it’s Sunday, clear blue skies and warm temperatures. You would never know that we had all that snow on the ground 2 days ago! You gotta love spring time in the Rockies! Good news though, this was the first snow in May since 2008. I can live with that!
I can’t believe that Memorial Day weekend is next week! I had full intentions of doing something on the grill this week, but I’m a wussy and didn’t want to grill in the snow. So I had prepared this lemon dill chicken salad for my after tennis picnic Thursday night. Since my match was cancelled, I decided to spruce it up and make Lemony Dill Chicken Salad Club Sandwiches with all my leftovers! I love a good club sandwich and now, I love a chicken salad club sandwich even better. Wow! This was good. The lemon and the dill are so tasty in the chicken salad. It has a super fresh flavor and when you add the bacon, well you may as well give up on all other sandwiches.
If you don’t feel like making big sandwiches, make the chicken salad and serve it on a fresh green salad. It’s delicious either way. Try the sandwich though. Yum!
Ill try and post something later this week on the grill for Memorial Day! In the meantime, here are couple of my favorite rib recipes!
Enjoy! This is really great chicken salad!
- 1 rotisserie chicken, chopped (3-4 cups)
- 3/4 cup finely diced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1/4-1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound bacon, chopped and cooked crispy
- 8 slices of your favorite bread
- Sliced tomatoes
- Lettuce of your choice
- Chop the bacon into one inch pieces, In a medium sized saute pan, over medium heat, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the chicken, celery, onion, dill, lemon, mayonnaise (use more if you like a creamier chicken salad) salt and pepper. Stir to combine well.
- To assemble the sandwiches. Toast your bread and spread with additional mayonnaise (optional). Top with lettuce, tomato, chicken salad and a handful of crispy bacon.