I hope that everyone had a great Mother’s Day! It’s always a favorite day of the year for me as it’s our tradition to have a nice brunch and then play in the garden. It was a spectacularly sunny day in Colorado and we made great progress cleaning out Mom’s gardens to get ready to plant later in the week. Weather depending! LOL! Such a nice day hanging out in the solitude of the Colorado mountains. It’s so peaceful. Getting our hands in the dirt is something special especially when it’s with your Mom, Dad and all the dogs!
So there is a story behind these Outrageous Caramel M&M’s Cookies! I’ll go back about 6-8 months when my childhood friend Lisa, posted on Facebook that she lived in this test market for Caramel M&M’s. She went on and on how amazing that they were. I seriously wet my pants because Peanut M&M’s have always been my downfall. Now, my favorite treat company is making my complete obsession, a product made with caramel. Dang, what took them so long?
After months of anticipation, they arrived at my local grocery. I had no idea but to my surprise, not looking, I saw them and they were on sale. I bought two “sharing” bags. As soon as I left the grocery, I broke open the bag. Not one but two handfuls later, I needed more. I couldn’t help myself and was upset that I didn’t buy more. So I stopped at another grocery on the way home and they were sold out. My obsession continued. Two more grocery stores. All sold out. Finally, the Walgreens across from my house had them. I bought 6 more bags. Four stops and eight bags later, I have my fill on Caramel M&M’s. For now.
Now I had a total conundrum on hand… What should I do with all these Caramel M&M’s? I had a total different idea for a post this week, but I had to make something with these delicious treats. Caramel M&M’s Cookies came to mind and when I finished my recipe, Outrageous Caramel M&M’s Cookies were born. They are “outrageous” because they are so good.
We have all made a M&M cookies in our lives but when they are filled with caramel, they become “outrageous”. Outrageously good! I was a bit skeptical as I didn’t know how the caramel would hold up in the heat. To my surprise, the integrity of the M&M holds up. Imagine a crispy cookie, with a soft center and a candied coated chocolate with gooey caramel totally intact. Warm or cold, you get that “pull apart” aspect of caramel. I’m in love. That’s pretty much it. I love to be in love, even if it’s just with a cookie! LOL!
Thank you M&M/Mars company for making this amazing product! Even though they are not paying me for this post, I feel it’s my duty to report this delicious treat to the public. Caramel M&M’s are that good!
Enjoy these Outrageous Caramel M&M’s Cookies! I sure as heck did!
- 2 sticks butter, softened to room temperature
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- ¾ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons real vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ cups flour (2¼ cups if cooking at low elevation)
- 2 sharing size packages Caramel M&M's (9.6 ounces for each bag)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- In a medium sized bowl stir flour with baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, with either a stand or hand mixer, beat butter with sugar, brown sugar and vanilla at medium speed until creamy and lightened in color.
- Add the eggs, one at a time on medium speed until light in fluffy. About 3-4 minutes.
- Gradually blend dry mixture into creamed mixture until well incorporated.
- Take one big handful of the M&M's out and eat for yourself then by hand stir in the Caramel M&M's.
- Drop by tablespoon onto ungreased cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool. The caramel is really hot right out of the oven so be careful!