I love this time of year when spring turns into summer and when Father’s Day and the Fourth of July are only a few weeks apart. It’s the time of year when you have two excuses to make a Blueberry Pie… For as long as I can remember, I have made my Dad a blueberry pie for Father’s Day. It’s kinda a perfect day. Sitting on the couch, watching the US OPEN, drinking a few beers, grilling steaks for dinner, and a big piece of blueberry pie for dessert! The Fourth of July is pretty much the same thing only we will be doing the Fourth of July activities instead, but we always have pie!
Why a Blueberry Pie?
Because, blueberry pies are, well, easy as pie. When the blueberries are in season and plentiful, making a pie is a great way to enjoy them. Blueberry pie just uses a few simple ingredients:
- Lemon juice and lemon zest
- Vanilla extract
- Double crust pie dough
- Egg wash
You can certainly use a store-bought pie shell, but may I suggest that you check out my blog post on pie crust recipes and make your own. Making your own pie shells is easier than you think and well worth an hour or so of your time.
Homemade Blueberry Pie
- 5 cups blueberries
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 lemon. Both zest and juice.
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 double crust pie shell either homemade or store bought
- 1 eggs, beaten
- sugar for top of pie
- In a large bowl, combine the blueberries, sugar, vanilla, salt, lemon zest, lemon zest, and flour. Stir to combine well. Set aside.
- Roll out the pie shells to fit a 9" or 10" deep-dish pie plate, about 1/4 inch or so. Place one pastry in the pie dish and prick the bottom all over with a fork. There will be some overage of the pastry, but that's ok. Fill with the blueberry mix and place the other rolled out pastry on top. Trim the edges so that there is about 1/2 inch over the sides. Working from the bottom piece, roll over the top edge and crimp to seal the edges of the pie. With a sharp knife, slit a few holes in the top. Brush the top with a beaten egg and sprinkle a couple of tablespoons of sugar over the top.
- Place in a 375-degree preheated oven for 45-55 minutes or until it is golden brown.