Fall is in the air and Black Bean and Sausage soup is what is for dinner tonight.
An all day rainy day in Colorado, is kinda like winning the lotto. Well not really, but if I were a plant, I’d sure think so! All kidding aside, we need the rain, and I needed an excuse to be at my desk all day and catch up on paper work! No excuses for going outside today! The dogs don’t like being inside all day, but then again they don’t like the rain! No winning with them today!
So as much as I “like” to sit at my desk and work all day, I was thinking that It’s a perfect day to make up some soup for dinner! I was chit chatting with a friend in Chicago via text and he said that he had some Cuban black bean and sausage soup yesterday and it was delicious. Great timing, I needed an idea and he caught me on the way to King Soopers! So here is what I came up with today! Warm and yummy on this cool and rainy Colorado evening!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 carrots pealed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
- 4 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tbs chili powder (I use Chimayo chili powder)
- 4 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 pound Andouille sausage diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and add onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and jalapeno and cook until veges become soft. About 10 minutes or so.
- Add beans, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chili powder and cook for about a minute to incorporate flavors.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for 1/2 hour on low heat.
- With an immersion blender (or regular blender, in small batches) blend soup until smooth.
- Add sausage and cilantro and simmer until warm.
I really love this soup. It is so easy to make and so delicious. This is the type of soup you want to have an endless bowl of, it warms you up and is so good. I wish I could make this more often!
Im so happy you got to make this and that the family especially the kiddos liked it!
Page Kunst says
The kids love this soup! Last night they wanted it again and asked for me to double the sausage. 🙂 Great soup!!
Love that the kids love this! You can never have too much sausage! Thanks for making!
Lea Ann (Cooking On The Ranch) says
Boy, when you say you’re going to go home and make some black bean soup…you go home and make some black bean soup! Looks good Heather and if you remember, I have a bag of fresh harvest black beans that I bought at LuLus’s. This will be on my table soon.
I don’t mess around Lea Ann!