Fall is in the air and Black Bean and Sausage soup is what is for dinner tonight.
An all day rainy day in Colorado, is kinda like winning the lotto. Well not really, but if I were a plant, I’d sure think so! All kidding aside, we need the rain, and I needed an excuse to be at my desk all day and catch up on paper work! No excuses for going outside today! The dogs don’t like being inside all day, but then again they don’t like the rain! No winning with them today!
So as much as I “like” to sit at my desk and work all day, I was thinking that It’s a perfect day to make up some soup for dinner! I was chit chatting with a friend in Chicago via text and he said that he had some Cuban black bean and sausage soup yesterday and it was delicious. Great timing, I needed an idea and he caught me on the way to King Soopers! So here is what I came up with today! Warm and yummy on this cool and rainy Colorado evening!
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 2 carrots pealed and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped (optional)
- 4 cans black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tbs cumin
- 2 tsp dried Mexican oregano
- 1 tbs chili powder (I use Chimayo chili powder)
- 4 cups chicken broth (preferably homemade)
- 1 pound Andouille sausage diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat olive oil in a large soup pot and add onions, garlic, peppers, carrots and jalapeno and cook until veges become soft. About 10 minutes or so.
- Add beans, bay leaf, cumin, oregano, salt, pepper and chili powder and cook for about a minute to incorporate flavors.
- Add chicken stock and simmer for ½ hour on low heat.
- With an immersion blender (or regular blender, in small batches) blend soup until smooth.
- Add sausage and cilantro and simmer until warm.
Easy to make vegetarian- leave out the sausage and use vegetable broth instead of chicken.