After a crazy weather week in Colorado some comfort food is in order. Chopped Cobb Salad with Apple Cider Vinaigrette is my go to meal when I need something yummy!
As you have probably seen on the news, Colorado experienced something that has never happened before in our State history. We had massive flooding from an enormous amount of rain in a very short time. Some parts of Northern Colorado and the Foothills to the West have received as much rain in 4 days that they receive in a whole year! The news reported that if it was a snow storm it would be over 120 inches of snow and that total square footage of flooding in our state is bigger than the state of Connecticut! The storm became deadly, with 4 souls lost and over 130 people still unaccounted for. We are all praying for their families and the safe return of the missing people to their family and friends.
My parents live in the Evergreen area just outside of Denver in the foothills. It is a beautiful mountain community. We actually were just up there last weekend for the annual Chili Cook Off. I never imagined this sort of devastation. Check out this video that some crazy guy took yesterday. I really puts into perspective the power of water. Normally Upper Bear Creek is a lovely slow moving stream. At some places the creek was 60 feet higher than normal!
Isn’t that nuts? What is even more insane, it was worse in other towns! As I write this it’s starting to rain again in Evergreen and they just posted another flash flood warning. Uugh!
Whoever is doing the rain dance needs to put down their cocktail and give it a rest already!
Anyway, it’s raining but we still have to eat! One of my favorite salads is from Lansdown Arms in Highlands Ranch. They make the BEST Cobb salad in town. It’s the Apple Cider Vinaigrette that makes it so special. Since I can’t eat out all the time, I figured out how to make it at home. It’s pretty much the only salad dressing that I eat anymore. I’m sure you will agree, it’s aah-ma-zing!
For the Vinegarette
- 1 c mayonnaise
- ½ c apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs)
- ¼ c honey (warm it up in the microwave for 30 seconds)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dry mustard
For the Salad
- 3 c mixed salad greens
- ½ carrot shredded
- 3 radishes sliced
- 1 hard boiled egg chopped fine
- 3 oz chopped cooked chicken
- 1 slice of cooked bacon crumbled
- 3 tbs favorite blue cheese crumbles
- 2 tbs sliced almonds
- To make the dressing
- In a medium bowl, whisk together all ingredients. I store mine in mason jars and use them up within 2 weeks. (In the refrigerator of course).
- For the salad
- I put a small amount of the dressing in the bottom of a medium size bowl. I add my salad ingredients and with tongs gently toss the salad. I plate it up and add a little more dressing if desired!