This week in Denver is a week of anticipation. First of all, after a few weeks of incredible Spring like weather, wearing shorts on dog walks and playing tennis outside, we are going to get hit with a giant snow storm later today and going into Tuesday. The weatherman says 12-24 inches. That always makes my laugh though. They can’t give a better prediction so they give a range, minimum to maximum. In reality though we will get more. Our last storm was supposed to be six to eight inches of snow and we ended up with thirteen! So, I am actually looking forward to staying home and eh hem, working on getting my taxes done! A perfect excuse to stay inside! We haven’t had a giant snow storm in a lot of years, so this will be fun!
Second and most important… As you may have heard, the Denver Bronco’s are in the Super Bowl!!! HOLY COW! Amazing. Our team so deserves this and our city is in vacation mode because it’s all that we can think about! Of course, the Bronco’s are the under dog but there are a lot of reasons why is Denverites know that they are going to win. First off, no one in the world deserves it more than Peyton Manning. It would be so cool if he could go out on top and I’m pretty sure that most people in America are cheering him on in this respect. Second of all, the Panthers have never won a Super Bowl and I believe that their nerves will get the best of them. Three, our defense, that’s all that need to be said! Number four, while the Panther’s did have a great season, they also had one of the easiest divisions to play in and quite honestly if they didn’t win it would have been silly! Number five, after our embarrassing loss in the Super Bowl a couple of years ago, our guys are really pumped and don’t want to repeat past mistakes. Number six, did you see the game against the Patriots? HAHA! Finally, the Super Bowl falls on my birthday this year, so they have to win! So you know what I’ll be doing on Sunday! Can’t wait. Xanax is ready along with the wine! HA! Go Bronco’s!!!
If you are like me, you are starting to plan the food for the party on Sunday and keeping with my Bronco’s theme, I made Bronco Biscuits! Yep, check these things out. Kinda like a strawberry short cake but better. Boozed soaked blueberries and oranges on top of a sweet biscuit dolloped with a whipped cream/mascarpone mixture! Oh my. These turned out good. A great dessert to bring to a party or to make at home because you always need a dessert and this one celebrates our favorite team!
GO BRONCO’S kick some Panther butt! 🙂
- [br][b]For the fruit mixture[/b][br]
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 15 oz can Mandarin oranges, drained (reserve liquid)
- 3 tbs honey
- 2 tbs orange liquor (or 2 tbs reserved liquid)
- [br][b]For the filling[/b][br]
- 1 8 oz container of Mascarpone cheese
- 1 pint heavy whipping cream (or 2 cups of store bought whipped cream)
- 4 tbs orange liquor (or 4 tbs reserved liquid)
- 2 tbs honey
- 2 tbs sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- zest of one orange
- [br][b]For the biscuits[/b][br]
- 1 container refrigerated biscuits (I used the small ones)
- 2 tbs butter, melted
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1 tbs orange zest
- To prepare the fruit. In a medium sized bowl, combine the blueberries, oranges, liquor and honey. Mix well and set aside.
- To prepare the biscuits. Remove from container and place on a greased cookie sheet. Brush the biscuits with butter. Sprinkle the tops with sugar and orange zest. Cook according to package directions. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- To prepare the filling. In a medium sized bowl combine the Mascarpone cheese, 2 tbs of orange liquor, honey and the zest of one orange. Mix to combine well. Set aside.
- To make the whipped cream. In a large bowl or stand mixer add the whipping cream, vanilla, orange liquor and sugar. On high speed whip together until stiff peaks are formed. About three minutes on high speed.
- Fold in the Mascarpone mixture to the whipped cream until incorporated.
- To assemble the biscuits. Cut each biscuit in half and top with filling, place a spoonful or so of the fruit on top and add another dollop of whipped cream. Place the other half of the biscuit on top and serve.