Wow! This week was worthless… You know when you are just minding your own business, working at your desk and WHAM! It hit’s you. Your head hurts, you start sneezing and coughing, your face hurts, all you want to do is sleep… Yep, just like clockwork, I got my January sinus infection. On Tuesday, I seriously laid in bed and swilled cough syrup and cold medicine like a cold beer on a hot summer day. I know this is crazy but I bought a Z-Pak when I was in Mexico and I am sure glad I did. There was no way that I could have gotten out of bed to get to the Doc! So I started antibiotics Tuesday night and after one more day of not even leaving my bed, I started feeling human again on Thursday. Even though my cough still sounds like a horse, I’m finally getting around. Although when I’m out in public and people hear me cough, they move quickly away from me like I have the plague or something! Funny stuff.
Anyway, eating and let alone cooking was the furthest thing from my mind on Tuesday and Wednesday, I knew that I needed to eat and the only food that sounded good was this War Wanton soup from my favorite Chinese restaurant. While scrolling through the menu to get the phone number for delivery, I noticed Orange Chicken on the menu. I love Orange Chicken, sticky, sweet, spicy, and immediately thought of chicken wings. Then I thought of the Denver Bronco’s motto! United in Orange! Thus, “Orange” Chicken wings were developed. My homage to the BIG game tomorrow against the Patriots. I baked this batch because it was easier for me this week but will bust out the grill tomorrow to make for the afternoon party! Along with eating wings tomorrow, I may need to break out the Xanax to get through the game. Maybe out of a Pez dispenser! LOL! Go Bronco’s!!! Let do this for Peyton..
- 4-5 pounds chicken wings
- 1 cup soy sauce (I used Tamari)
- 1/4 hoisin sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups orange marmalade (18 oz jar)
- 2 tbs sherry
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbs fresh ginger, minced
- 5-6 Serrano chilies, sliced and chopped (or other hot pepper)
- 1 tbs orange zest
- In a sauce pan, add all the ingredients except for the chicken wings. Warm the sauce to loosen the marmalade. Don’t not boil. Remove from the heat and reserve 1 cup of the marinade for basting.
- Place the chicken wings in a large zip lock bag and add the cooled marinade. Let sit for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- When ready to cook, heat up your oven or grill to 375 degrees. If cooking in the oven line a cookie sheet with parchment paper (do not use tin foil, it will stick). Bake or grill for 1/2 hour. Turn the wings over and baste with marinade. Cook for another 20-25 minutes.
- Let wings sit for 15 minutes or so before serving. Wings are great served at room temperature.