A couple of months back I was hired to cater a bachelor party this coming weekend! Yep, a thoughtful wife of one of the men decided that it would be nice for them to have a big meal ready for them when they get back from a fun day of zip lining and white water rafting! The funny thing about this is that she actually called one of my caterer friends and asked him to do it for her and if he could make the pulled pork that she ate at one of his parties last summer. Well, I smoked the pork for the party because he didn’t have time to do it and I guess it was a big hit! My buddy suggested that I cater the party instead! So here I am, adding “caterer” to my resume. I’m kinda giddy about it! While I was trying to come up with a “hot” appetizer and keeping with my “Colorado” food theme, I asked my guy friends what I should make and I got an unanimous consensus of chicken wings. I came up with this idea of Cholula Honey Barbecued Wings because they can be marinated ahead of time and put on the grill before serving! Easy and perfect for a party. So here is the menu for Saturday night! Cholula Honey Barbecued Wings, guacamole, chips and salsa, green chili pulled pork, cole slaw, mile high baked beans, tequila lime pasta salad, blueberry pies with limoncello cream and home made cookies! Sounds like a feast to me! Wish me luck!
On another note… One of my childhood best friends popped in for a night this weekend! It was so great to see her as it’s been fifteen years since we last hung out. Wow! Way too long! We had such a great day. Scenic drives, a gorgeous hike in the woods with the dogs (first hike for Tommy and he did great), lunch at my favorite spot on Lake Dillon, a drive up and over Loveland Pass and the Continental Divide and then the back way into Evergreen to have dinner with my folks! It was a long day that started at 6:45 Am but one of the best days that I have had all summer! I still pinch myself knowing that a day like this full of adventure is basically in my back yard! We won’t wait that long to see each other again. Heck she is my sister from another mister so no more excuses!
Have a great week my friends!
- 5 pounds chicken wings
- 1 1/4 cup Cholula sauce
- 3/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp granulated garlic
- [br][b]For the basting sauce[/b][br]
- 1 1/2 sticks butter
- 3/4 cup Cholula sauce
- 4 tbs honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the Cholula, honey, salt, pepper and garlic. Pour sauce into a gallon sized zip lock bag and add the chicken wings. Let marinate for 8 hours and up to overnight.
- When ready to grill the wings, melt the butter, Cholula, honey and salt in a small sauce pan. Set aside.
- Heat the grill up to 350-375 degrees. Remove the wings from the marinade and place on the grill. Baste liberally with the butter mixture. Turn the wings every ten minutes or so and baste everytime that you turn. The wings take approximately 30 minutes to cook.
- Serve at room temperature.