It’s that time of year again when citrus fruits are at the shops in abundance and are at their peak of deliciousness! I have had a ton of oranges in my house this year as it seems that I needed extra vitamin C with all the crazy sickness this year!
That being said, we all need a special treat every now and then, and with all the oranges on hand, I decided to make one of my all-time favorite flavor combinations. Orange Creamsicle!
What is a creamsicle?
A creamsicle is typically a frozen dessert with an orange-flavored outer core and a vanilla ice cream center. It’s delicious and one of my favorite flavor combinations! You can totally replicate it in the blondie recipe as you substitute the vanilla-flavored center with the vanilla-flavored white chocolate chips. (Yes folks, there is no white chocolate, it’s just a vanilla-flavored white chip). I’ll tell you that these may be better than the ice cream dessert and easy to make too!
What is a blondie?
A blondie is a blonde brownie and is a delicious dessert bar. It’s like a traditional chocolate brownie, but blondies are made with vanilla instead of cocoa that is used in brownies. They have the chewy, fudgy flavor that a brownie has but they offer a base to add all kinds of flavors to your creation. I decided to go the orange creamsicle route on these. The blondie provides the perfect base for this classic flavor.
Like brownies, blondies are one of the simplest desserts to make. You don’t need any special equipment. Just a whisk and a bowl! Seriously what is better than a dessert that you can just mix together. I always wonder why they sell pre-mixed brownies in a box. It’s just as easy (and it tastes way better) than any box!
I hope that you give these blondies a try. They may just become your new favorite treat!
I guess that I love cooking with oranges! Here are some more fabulous Orange recipes!
Orange Creamsicle Blondies
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 ounces white chocolate chips
- 1 orange, zested
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup flour
For the White Chocolate Ganache
- 10 ounces white chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoons orange zest
To Make the Blondies
- In a medium-sized saucepan over medium-low heat, melt the butter, sugar, chocolate chips, orange zest, and vanilla. Remove from heat and cool for 10-15 minutes.
- When cool, transfer the melted mixture to a medium-sized bowl and whisk in the eggs. Once that is incorporated whisk in the salt, and flour until smooth.
- Prepare an 8x8 baking pan by lining it with placement paper and spraying it liberally with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and bake in a 350-degree oven for 20-22 minutes or until an inserted knife comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely.
- While the blondies are cooling make the ganache. In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, orange juice, and orange zest. Microwave on high in 30-second intervals (stirring in between each interval) until the chips are melted.
- Remove the blondies from the pan and place it on a drying rack (placed over a cookie sheet to pick up any ganache that drips). Pour 1/2 of the ganache over the blondies and let it sit for a couple of minutes until it starts to set, then pour the remaining ganache over the top. Let cool completely before slicing the blondies into desired sized pieces.